Thursday, April 07, 2011

Digital versus Physical

Even though I’ve reorganized all my art supplies and I’m set up to paint again, I don’t seem to be doing anything yet. Thinking about it (definitely). Fantasizing about it (always pleasurable). Generating ideas (never a problem) ...but actually doing it? I’m afraid not.
Since I don’t have this problem with digital work, I’ve been debating lately about whether or not I should give up the physical act of painting and focus entirely on Photoshop.
And it’s not because Photoshop is faster. If anything, it’s a slower process for me. Because there are so many possibilities to explore digitally, I can lose myself happily for hours and then emerge with something that pleases me.
When I pick up a brush and dip it in paint, though, there’s usually some hesitation on my part. Am I making the right decision? Could I going down the wrong path? What am I trying to do anyway? It’s just plain easier for me to be more playful and spontaneous in Photoshop. Plus, just think uncomplicated my life would be without all those art supplies!
Unfortunately, while Photoshop might be mentally tactile, it doesn’t translate to the physical—yet. Won’t it be amazing when three-dimensional stuff starts emerging from your printer? I just hope this happens in my lifetime.

10 comments:

Jennifer Pearson Vanier said...

Follow your bliss. Don't put any pressure on yourself to paint. If you do, do it for fun, just to stretch out those "painting neurons." You might be surprised what you come up with. We do so many things that "prepare" us for other things. (I know I spend too much time thinking about things and not nearly enough, just doing them.)Painting might just be one of those portals to greater creativity. Happy Spring!!

Caterina Giglio said...

well you can always pack your supplies away and when the urge strikes go back to the physical... you can't really make a mistake... just try it and see what you think.. I tried Photoshop and didn't like it, so I am a physical girl all the way... have fun!! xx

me again said...

Hmmmmm......we must talk. I can show you some neat-o ways to print, ones which WILL introduce a whole new element to your digital art.
And it's funny you post this, because I have been thinking almost the exact same thing. I have an entire room -- my son's old bedroom that is now my art studio -- and it is chockablock PACKED with hands-on art supplies. Literally, floor to ceiling. I've got eyelets and brads and grommets galore, I've got ribbons and raffia, I've got stamps and stencils and paints and pens. I can crimp, I can punch, I can emboss, I can laminate. And do I use these wonderful things? Honestly ..... nope, I work in Photoshop. So I too have been thinking what you're thinking.....pack it all up. I just might do that this spring!

MarissaDW said...

LOL! I've been pushing myself to do some journaling. And have somewhat succeeded. But I have been procastinating with doing more Photoshop assignments. I loved the Digital Magic classes I've taken with Marie Otero. don't know what the hang up is. Maybe, too many things to do, so little time. Oh yeah. It could be...that I started re-reading the Harry Potter series again.

azirca said...

I just watched a news story on three-dimensional printing a few days ago. Those in the know say that the printers that are needed to create 3D anything are just around the corner and will pretty much be mainstream before we know it. They were even talking about being able to print blood vessels, that is amazing and quite mind blowing!
The mind boggles at the type of art pieces that will be able to be created using the technology.

Leslie Jane Moran said...

Digital versus Physical. Why versus? A little of both is nice. I understand the need to make a huge mess, and leave it up while doing the physical, but you can always run to the computer in between! I just got back into some really physical stuff and enjoy the "to-ing and fro-ing" method myself :) Again, all of this is about time and commitment. You have never been a one trick pony....Ride em' both!

Unknown said...

Yeah that would be pretty cool! These days I also would rather play around on the computer-than craft. There's no preparation of art supplies involved and you get lost in another Universe for a while. Enjoy!
Sandy xox

Cro Magnon said...

You only have to look to Gilbert & George to see what a wonderful medium photography can be. I've been a professional painter for over 40 years (since I graduated), and I hate painting! Sadly it just draws me in and says 'Dance Cro, dance'. So, who am I to say 'no'!

jocelyn said...

I have mastered the reorganization ploy in hopes of reigniting my productivity, but I always get sidetracked before I can start anything. Oh well, let's just enjoy the long weekend! xoxo

A bird in the hand said...

Well, if I were standing next to you, I would urge you to just do it. We would pick up our brushes and smoosh swaths of paint across the canvas... Perhaps you need company??? I'm here.