Friday, May 11, 2012

Focus and Failure


I don’t know about you, but I often find it difficult to settle down and focus in on creative ideas that could be developed into something tangible. 
I used to think it was because artists tend to be all-at-once kind of thinkers. If a lot of ideas are coming to you (and this happens to me regularly), it’s easy to get lost in the ocean of possibilities. And when you’re easily distracted and can’t settle down, you start thinking of yourself as basically lazy ...maybe lacking the moral fiber needed to produce something worthwhile.
But in my observation of myself and others, I think there’s something deeper at work here. If you’ve experienced failure with any kind of regularity (as most of us have), you can be fearful about exploring something that resonates with you.  In other words, will it be just be another dead end? And how will you feel afterwards if it is?  It’s always harder to fail at something when it’s important to you.
Yes, I know they say that if life gives you lemons, make lemonade. But unfortunately, failure doesn’t always result in a cleansing process that elevates character and improves your perception.
So what is the solution to all this? I wish I knew, although I have a feeling that following where your focus leads you and enjoying the ride just might be the only way to go.

5 comments:

Leslie Jane Moran said...

Oh philosopher of the ages. This post resonates with me on so many levels. Readers will be thinking..."she wrote this to ME!" I too think we get swept up in the 'Tsunami of ideas' and are somewhat overcome. The trick it to start...start something, start anything, get going....just start. As a very wise woman once told me, you are overwhelmed by possibilities because you are capable of doing them, just pick one and start. If at first you don't succeed...there is likely a cupboard full of other things to carry you onward. Start.

Lucy Ladham-Dyment said...

I feel some of the same things like you. I just keep plugging and things are getting better.

Janet Hickey said...

Your post echoed my thoughts exactly. Like a lot of us...I am always knee deep in possibilities. I strive to get to the place where I "choose" my direction vs circumstances choosing my direction. It's a matter of being able to focus and follow thru I guess. But then if I knew what I wanted to be when I grow up - it would help narrow things a bit (I just turned 60 ;).

Anonymous said...

How do you express my frustrations so well? I positively related to your post so much I think you are me. But to get down to the bottom of it, I'm beginning to think it would help me to get solidly Grounded! I just can't live in my head so much anymore, the ideas overwhelm me and I'm just not getting anything done at all, and have a hard time staying focused on anything I FINALLY choose to do!

Laura Haviland said...

Susan that was so from your heart and made me think your even more awesome !!! I needed to read that and really touched a part of me.
Thanks for sharing a little private piece of you. Failure is just not fun and we all have huge fears. It helps to know we all very human and not alone.
Very best creative wishes, Big Hugs Laura.xoxx
P.S.Your so brave and caring to share.