Sunday, June 21, 2009

Weekend Play Spaces

I thought I’d show you some of the pictures I took yesterday when I was at my friend Bev’s for an art day. Six of us got together to play with alcohol inks on bamboo tiles, dominos and clear plastic—and later on, pouring UTEE into molds.
A few months ago Mary taught me how to make molds. I was really pleased with how they turned out at the time, and took them along to our playday. By the time we got to that point, though, my camera had run out of juice.
Because I’d posted photos earlier in the week of different art tables, I really noticed how people worked yesterday. Some were messy, some were neat, and still others (like me) seemed to swing wildly from one end of the spectrum to the other.
What I tend to do is to get messier and messier until I reach the point where I only have a postage stamp-sized space to work in. Then I regroup and start all over again in pristine surroundings. It’s obvious to me that 50 per cent of the time I spend creating involves tidying and sorting, 30 per cent involves trying to make decisions and the rest of the time I’m hands on.

(I really don’t like to think about how productive I’d be if I was (A) Neat (B) Decisive).

6 comments:

Irene said...

Love those bamboo tiles. After your post of table last week, I too have decided I need to change my evil ways. So today is tidy up time. Great colours. will we see some of your creations from Art Play Day.

A bird in the hand said...

"What I tend to do is to get messier and messier until I reach the point where I only have a postage stamp-sized space to work in."

That is me! Although, I do try to put things away in their place right away (otherwise I wouldn't find them again!).

Leslie Jane Moran said...

I can't wait to see what happens next! Great colours.

spindelmaker said...

Oh, this lots so much fun! Creating together is always a good idea. But what you´ve done here. the colors are magical. Love the purples and the jade and amber.

I usually say that creativity is 5 % talent, and 95% hard work. So I don´t know how that equation fits in here...

nancy said...

i like to have all my "stuff" out so i can see it, have it inspire me and it gives me the feeling that i'm in my own little cacoon.
it might look messy but i know where every little thing is!
looks like you got alot of work done, can't wait to see the finished pieces!

Ganga Fondan said...

Wow, I want to play with all of those. Did you know that Beethoven could never keep a housekeeper because he was a complete disgusting slob. Well in one sense...in a musical sense he was genius all over. Are we all meant to be tidy and neat? Well this singer kind of empathizes with the elfamous composer. Smile.Love the posting!!!