Thursday, January 08, 2009

A New Journal

On January 1st I started my tenth 3 x 5” Moleskine journal. I usually choose the unlined notebook rather than the sketchbook since my pen seems to work better on thinner paper. But this kind of paper is not as good for doing art because the images tend to show through on the other side.
Not that this bothers me. My journals are just for myself and I don’t often show anything in them to other people. I like the fact that I don’t have to produce something finished or “good.”
Recently one of my friends asked me if I was afraid to let her look at my journals because she might read something unflattering about herself. But I said no, and explained that I mostly focus on creative ideas I want to explore, and running on endlessly about things in my life that trouble me. While I don’t mind sharing my ideas, problems are another thing entirely. I prefer to keep them to myself.

I always start with the art though. So far in my new journal, I’ve stamped 40 pages and expanded on these images with my own drawing. Here are three illustrations from pages I haven’t written on yet. I have no idea what entries they will end up “illustrating” and it really doesn’t matter. I just like the fact that they’re already there.

2 comments:

Leslie Jane Moran said...

That's a really neat idea as a journal prompt. It's just a neat idea all around. Thanks for sharing. I quite agree about the stream of consciousness in the Moleskine. I tend to major in lists! The word verification I have to unscramble below is

ditizzi..that's how I'm feeling these days :)

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of using a stamp as a start for drawing from. It would be great for doing exquisite corpses. My word verification is "disab". Disabled? Disability??
Mary A.