Back in January, Ginger—that fount of Blogland wisdom—posted a picture of a chickadee put together using vintage Letraset type. I was thinking about this when I started working on this spread for my process journal. I don’t know whether or not you’ve ever had the opportunity to work with Letraset, but when I was preparing camera-ready artwork years ago, I found using it was addictive. Even though spacing the letters properly could drive you mad, there was something so satisfying about the crisp look of the finished type.
I still have a stash of old Letraset. But the letters were too large for this layout, so I found a sheet of instant lettering I’d bought at the dollar store and used that instead. At least I tried to, but the letters just wouldn’t rub off. (Guess that’s why they call it the dollar store!) In the end, I cut out a chunk from the sheet and used tiny bits of double-sided tape to keep in place. I quite like the effect, and think it might also work with a light wash of paint over it. It’s funny how the intended use of a material can be transformed into something else.