Friday, March 20, 2009

The Sunset

John took this picture of the wonderful sunset on Wednesday night. He has been documenting the sky off and on for a few months now, and each photo is different because the sky changes so quickly.
Speaking of skies, if you love the work of Joseph Cornell, there’s a new book out on his work by Kirsten Hoving called Joseph Cornell and Astronomy: A Case for the Stars. I haven’t read it myself, but I did flip through a copy in a bookstore recently and the art is amazing. It’s definitely on my to-buy list.

There’s something so inspiring about the sky in its many incarnations, and I’m sure that’s why Cornell was moved to express this in his art. I think this quote by Rumi says it best: The universe and the light of the stars come through me.

5 comments:

Leslie Jane Moran said...

The evening skies have been so magnificent after the past few sunny days. This is a great shot. Many thanks for the intro to Joseph Cornell. I had no idea of his work and am thrilled to investigate. As usual, an illuminating post. Happy Spring!

My word verification is Shries...rhymes with skies...how appropriate!

Irene said...

This is an unusual post for you, I was looking for your weekly ATC. Thanks for the surprise. I always check http://annielul.blogspot.com/ for her sky watch. I love it!

Unknown said...

Wowsers, I can't believe that sky belongs to Toronto! John is a great photographer! I loved your story about the tea cups :) It warmed my heart!

Miss u!
Sandy xox

P.S Did you hear back about when your article about our ATC swaps will come out?

azirca said...

Gorgeous photo, the colours are beautiful.
Love the Rumi quote too.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.