Saturday, November 15, 2008

More About Blogging...

Brenda, June and Leslie left comments last Sunday when I wrote a post on what to write about, and I’ve been thinking about what they said on and off all week.
Blogland is a huge community made up of thousands (maybe hundreds of thousands) of smaller communities, so it’s really a refection of what life itself is like.
I agree with Leslie when she says that most of us are interested in specific types of blogs, ones that tend to dovetail with our interests and have a “personality” that speaks to us. I don’t know about you, but there are so many fascinating blogs online that I could be reading them 24/7—and still feel I was only scratching the surface of what’s out there. Since this is impossible, I rely on my instincts to be my guide.
For example, I read Brenda’s blog because I’m nosey and I want to know what she’s up to. She doesn’t post much and she’s comfortable with that, although she did mention the average blogger might be intimidated by the so-called professional feel of certain blogs. I know what Brenda means. I keep thinking I should tart up mine with more graphics and maybe a video, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet.
And I have to admit that while I’m drawn to visuals on other people’s blogs, it’s usually information, and writing style that keeps me coming back. I read June’s regularly because she has a wry sense of humor I always enjoy, and Leslie’s blog because she tells me about things I’d be really interested in if only I’d known about them! She is also responsible for reviving my long dormant interest in music. I’ve listened to J.J. Cale and Eric Clapton playing After Midnight, so many times I’m wearing out my speakers …not to mention driving John and the dog nuts. Oh yes, writing about blogs and blogging tonight makes me want to visit a whole bunch of my favorites and just forget about the dishes.

5 comments:

Ronna said...

I reread the comments about blogging from that older post. It is one of those things that's a bit hard to define. A blog is personal yet it shouldn't be TOO personal because who knows who the heck is reading it.
I feel mine is a sort of ongoing daily "newsletter" of my life, in which I get to be the editor, photographer and layout person.
What I do enjoy about it is that in order to "feed" it, I have to be on the lookout for interesting things. When I drive by something interesting, I used to think, "I'll stop next time and take a picture of it." Now that I have a blog, I turn around and shoot it on the spot so I can have something to put on the next day's blog.
It really forces me to look a little harder at the world around me.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, girlfriend -- I read your blog to see what creative things you are up to...visually artistic as well as intellectually written! :)

A bird in the hand said...

I always forget about the dishes.....haha!

me again said...

Our blogs are fascinating thiings. For example, I am just getting "back to normal" after a period of several weeks that involved getting ready for a big vacation, taking said vacation, and then recovering from it and dealing with "normal life" again. I thought I'd blog regularly while away, as I had my computer with me, but I surprised myself by hardly blogging at all. I also thought I'd keep up with the blogs I read, but I wasn't on the computer enough for that. I think our blogs ebb and flow and hopefully reflect ourselves and the lives we lead, no matter what the intended "theme" of a blog may be. I have also found that after blogging for most of this year, my blog has taken directions I didn't think it would take, and I wonder if others feel the same way about theirs?? Interesting topic :-)
==Lennie==

Anonymous said...

...please where can I buy a unicorn?