Thursday, June 22, 2006

About My Book

My Texan friend Jeanne Schedler (who I roomed with at Artfest) wants to know what my book is all about. Well, Jeanne, I was Blogless in Brampton yesterday because I was trying to finish writing one page in said book. Yes, just one page. Even though I write for a living, I still find it hard to do. In my opinion, writing is closer to thinking than speaking. Anyone who knows me is aware I have trouble keeping my thoughts on track. But when I talk, at least I can self-correct on the spot.
Anyway, back to my book. It’s designed to help artists and writers embrace their creativity and put it into practice. I actually wrote 70 pages of straight text before I realized I was on the wrong track. Now the book has evolved into a series of mini essays with graphics, which is what I was trying to do in the first place.
I’ve always been fascinated by creativity, and started making notes back in the 80s. But part of the problem I’ve had focusing on this project is that I’ve amassed too much information, and made too many notes. I don’t think I’m any closer to a theory of creativity than I was 20 years ago. However, I do have a better sense of what works, and what doesn’t. But I’ll have to let my readers be the judge of that when I’ve finished my book.

No comments: