Friday, June 16, 2006

I’m finished – but in a good way!

When it comes to our club projects, I usually finish them the day before…sometimes even the day of. The CD case is the first one I’ve managed to do in advance, and I can’t believe I’m a week early. The main reason for this is because I’m not very busy with work right now. It’s tempting to think that my tardiness is the result of circumstance, not because I tend to procrastinate.
I also think this particular project is more “me” than the other ones we’ve done…i.e. I didn’t have to think too much. Or more accurately, it dovetailed with what I’m working on right now and where I want to go.
When it comes to finishing an actual painting though, I’m continuing to dither. The solution to this seemed to be working on several paintings at once. But what happens when you really like the backgrounds you’ve done and you don’t want to add anything?

Speaking of adding, I’m thinking of the abstract impressionist and minimalist painter Ad Reinhardt right now. His thing was basically backgrounds. Although I’m sure he didn’t think of them that way, you can’t help feeling your job is to supply your own context when you’re looking at one of his paintings.

No comments: