Thursday, May 31, 2007

Self Absorption

I think I understand now why people act so self absorbed when they’re working on a big project because I’m doing it myself. John and I were joking around yesterday and I told him that I thought my best feature was my nose. When I asked him was his was, he said: “My children.” Oh, oh. I could have come up with my friends/family, but no, I was thinking about my nose…yes, it was all about moi.
Self-absorption may be a survival mechanism though. When you have to stay focused, you almost feel that if you give something else any real attention, you’ll get off track.On Monday night I was so deeply absorbed in working on my book that I had this weird out of body experience. I was watching myself working and it actually seemed as if someone else was doing the writing, not me. Obviously there will be life after the book, but right now it’s hard to picture it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Susan, In defense of you, one definition of "feature" is strictly interpreted as a part of the face, to which, obviously your were referring. "A distinctive attribute or aspect of something" is the more general definition. Even if John were using this definition, I would have to question his diction. A distinctive aspect of his life's accomplishments might be the children, but not a distinctive aspect of him personally- (as a person)?

What do you think? This is an academic discussion and in no way reflects on your loving, wonderful, compassionate husband.

All of this to say, I don't think you are self-absorbed at all. Writing this book requires a lot of focus, but that is temprary, not your life-long character. And golly you talk about your appearance as little as anyone I know. It's allowed.

Jeanne