Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Fan Fiction

Over the years I’ve been addicted to a number of TV shows including Star Trek, Mork and Mindy, Soap, Dr. Who, CSI Miami and The Pretender. In fact, I loved The Pretender so much that even though I’d thrown my back out one Saturday night and couldn’t get up from the carpet, I insisted on watching the show straight through. Only then would I let John call the ambulance. Nuts, huh?
Apparently there are over 1,600 fan fiction stories about The Pretender posted on the Internet right now — mainly to do with Jared and Miss Parker. No surprise there, but I was amazed that people would bother to do this. Because I’m a writer myself, I know how much work goes into any kind of story, whether it’s written for love, money, or both.
Apparently Fan Fiction got started in the 70s with Star Trek aficionados anxious to entertain themselves between episodes. Naturally it’s snowballed since then because of the Internet, and that burning desire people have to share their work with others.
If you’re into Harry Potter and tired of waiting for the latest book, check out this recent article in the Telegraph for links to fan fiction sites. (Supposedly there are over 200,000 Harry Potter stories you can read).
Anne Rice won’t let fans use her characters, but J.K. Rowling doesn’t seem to have a problem with this. And why should she? I think she’s worth well over a billion by now, and I’m sure she has better things to do than harass the people she knows have helped to get her to where she is today.

No comments: