Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Will's Children

It’s been a while since I’ve done an ATC so I decided to play with an old photo tonight to see what I could come up with. It’s a picture of Great Uncle Will’s children in front of their house in downtown Toronto.
About half of my grandmother’s twelve siblings immigrated to Canada from England in the early 1900s, and Nana and her parents were the last to arrive in 1909. That’s almost a hundred years ago and I wonder how she must have felt leaving what was familiar to her to come to a new country.
Somehow I doubt that Nana was homesick for long though. She soon met my grandfather and had her first child at the age of eighteen. Judging by the size of Will’s family, I’m guessing Nana had plenty of cousins to socialize with too. She told me they would go for a walk after dinner and then listen to music at the park. Apparently the musicians weren’t formally organized into a band. They would just show up with their instruments and start jamming. I wish I could have seen (and heard) that.

4 comments:

azirca said...

What a great story to accompany an equally great ATC. I love the addition of the map overlay.

Dale said...

Yes, it's a beautiful thing when musicians just get together for the enjoyment of playing, and jam. If you are in the right place at the right time, you can still find that sometimes.

Unknown said...

I never thought to make an ATC with my family's old photos. This is way cool!

XO

Carole said...

What a fabulous piece.

I've discovered how much I enjoy using family photographs in my own artwork. It makes it so much more personal.

Being an only child it's hard for me to imagine a family that large, but my Italian grandmother had sixteen children.