Monday, April 23, 2007

Mothering

I’ve always been drawn to Madonna and Child images. When I came across this one tonight, I realized by next week, Emma and David will be in their new home, and this started me thinking about the whole concept of mothering.
To me, it’s not linked to the biological function of producing children, because if this happened to be true, giving birth would automatically turn a woman into a good mother and the world would be a much happier place.
For this reason, I think mothering is a divine quality that can be acknowledged and practiced by anyone irrespective of age, sex or family situation. In a way, we’re all potentially mothers. Nurturing, supporting and helping people to become their best selves is something we not only can do, but should also aspire to.

No comments: