Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Persistence

I’ve been thinking a lot about the quality of persistence lately because I’m closing in on the end of my book. I should be finished writing it sometime this weekend. Then I’ll have to read everything through and change the order. I just hope I don’t find anything major that needs reworking yet again. I also have to design the cover, and I don’t have a clue what to do with it.
If there’s one lesson I’ve learned from this whole experience though, it’s that you have to stick at things or you will never finish. We know this intellectually of course, but when we actually have to put it into practice we discover persistence is complicated, messy and boring (at times).
The hardest part for me has been regrouping psychologically when I couldn’t meet my weekly quota of pages. It’s also been sobering to face the fact that while I’m a decent writer, I’m not a great one—and never will be. Fortunately Photoshop seems to have taken over where my writing skills leave off, so I’m now on a mission to learn as much as I can in that area.

No comments: