Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Moo Challenge #24

This week’s theme over at Make a Moo or Two is pumpkins. I always associate them with Halloween, but since that celebration is a few weeks away I decided to go psychedelic. I found a free image of pumpkins on Wikipedia, and then layered it with some of my own images using different Photoshop blending modes.
Pumpkins remind me of my dad too. When we were children, he would buy the biggest pumpkin available around Halloween, and then spend hours carving it. But instead of cutting the eyes, nose and mouth right out, Dad would carefully remove the skin and leave the second layer intact. Once he’d put the light inside, the pumpkin face would have an eerie, appealing glow. My mother also got in on the action. There were delicious pumpkin pies and toasted seeds for us to munch on after the carving was complete even though all we basically did was watch my dad exercise his creativity …i.e. every year he designed a different face.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love the moos you make! These are so gorgeous again!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous MOO's and what a great story.

Sandy said...

Wow I´ve missed my words.
Unbelievable moo´s.
Love them.

daisy said...

Brilliant. I luv digital art xx

Femmy said...

what a brilliant colours!!! love them!!!
thanks for your nice comment!

Astrid Maclean said...

These are stunning! And what a brilliant childhood you must have had. Your dad sounds amazing!

Ed said...

I love the bright colours - wish I was brave enough to use bold colours because the effect is stunning. Thank you for calling into my blog, please come back another time. i have also left a small comment oin your butterfly moos which are also gorgeous..

Ed said...

Forgot to say - just as Astrid said - your Dad sounds like he was an amazing guy..

Carole said...

Those are cool looking!

What a neat memory to have too. :-)

Ronna said...

Susan, it's funny, I have memories of my Dad and pumpkins too. One year we grew 6 or 7 small pumpkins and my dad carved each one with different faces on each. I have pictures of that somewhere...we sat each one on every step going up to the house. Looked fantastic at night! Thanks for reminding me of that...haven't thought of that for years!

Louve Bleue said...

very very beautiful colors !

Myriame said...

Really great, very beautiful colours

azirca said...

Fabulous psychedelic pumpkins!
I see that you have inherited your Dad's wonderful creativity.

Heather Robinson said...

Oh I love what you've done with the pumpkins and was delighted by your memories of pumpkin carving and everything associated with it. I have never heard of peeling away the top layer. I can just imagine that the light is indeed eery once the skin is removed.

Poldark-Finland said...

I love the colors of your pumpkins ;O) And that story of your childhood, too. I envy you, because here in Finland we have "celebrated" Halloween only few years now. I myself love Halloween parties !

Primitive Seasons said...

Could you possibly post the link on Wikipedia to the pumpkin image! Thanks.

Mary
www.primitiveseasons.blogspot.com