Monday, November 13, 2006

Busy in a Different Way Today

I spent yesterday on my own, but today was just the opposite. I went to Susan Wilkie’s for lunch, and then we headed off to Bizzy Bee’s for the first Altered Book/Journal Club hosted by the store. There were nine people there, and I think most of them had taken Mary’s altered book class like me. (I’ve actually taken it twice, and I know I’m not the only one).
Mary brought her mother lode, which we all dived into…or is it dove? And come to think of it: can you even dive into a mother lode? In any case, it was inspiring to have all Mary’s books to look at. I’d never seen her journal before, and it was fantastic. She also gave us a handout and talked about the basic principles of collage.
I have to admit that I did absolutely nothing but gab to everyone and troll the store. Susan and I agreed that we can’t work as well in a crowd as we can on our own. But I noticed she actually applied herself while I foraged like a madwoman through a new shipment of 7 Gypsies embellishments and looked for Christmas presents for myself. (That sounds a little tacky doesn’t it?)
Mary brought the angel book for Susan who is next on the list, so I got to see her contribution and Carmi’s. Their work is just luscious, and it’s hard to believe we’re almost at the halfway point.
When I got home, I phoned Emma who got back from Barcelona last night. She met her friend Emily there earlier this week, and they went to the Museum of Contemporary Art, Gaudi’s cathedral, the Miro Museum and some early city ruins. Since Emma’s been in Europe, she’s really become interested in art. She told me tonight that she wants to do art some projects with me. This will be FUN! (Here’s a picture of Emma in Luxembourg that I have on my computer screen).

No comments: