Thursday, November 30, 2006

One of my favorite things…

Yes, it’s fonts! Back in the 70s I did a lot of ad and bookwork using Letraset. Fonts like Tango, Sinaloa, Arnold Boeklin and Cabaret were really big then—and I used them more than once. But when I look at something like Lazybones now, I cringe. I don't think I could ever use any of these typefaces again. They were all basically what I refer to as “stoner fonts.” Very groovy and psychedelic, but best left back in the 70s where they belong.
I recall a boyfriend I had then giving me an old typewriter that I used for journaling. It never occurred to me to enlarge the typeface for any of the projects I was working on because there was a certain look going on and you found yourself automatically plugging into it. But that old typewriter is somewhere in the mountain of debris that fills our crawl space. It would be fun to find it and make my own font because I really like the distressed look. I also like mismatched letters. The font shown above is called Hackers, and it’s an interesting one to use. The only thing I don’t like about it is that the “S” looks like a dollar sign, so I try to avoid words with that letter!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you had your own blog and constantly updated to boot. I'll be a regular or at least try to be from now on. KF

Anonymous said...

Hey Aunt Sue,
It's me Kira. I'm so excited I saw you bog it's very intersesting. In art I'm working on Stary Night by Vincent Va Go. Hope to see you soon!