Thursday, December 14, 2006

Sleep Therapy

I felt like a new woman this morning after having had eight hours of sleep. Six is usually my maximum, but it’s obviously not enough—at least when I have a lot to do, which is usually my state of affairs come to think of it.
The other thing that rejuvenates me is cleaning. Not that I’ve ever been neat and tidy person, but somehow getting my environment in order brings me a sense of peace.
John and I have been watching The Lost Room on the Space Channel all week, and without going into any plot ins and outs, it centers on objects that have special powers…a clock, a comb, a key, a bus ticket, and so on. The characters in possession of these objects are obsessed with them, and some are even on an insane quest to collect more.
It struck me while watching this show how much objects dominate our lives. We think about them. We buy them. We have to find a place for them. We even insure some of them. (I have a rider on my insurance policy that covers my art supplies, but I doubt I’ll ever use all the stuff that I have).
Where am I going with this line of thought? I’m not sure. However, I do think there’s a difference between an object as a form of identity and an object as a possibility. If you think you need to own things to be perceived as a worthwhile person, that’s not healthy. But when you see an object as something that can help you to explore or enrich the world around you, that’s a positive thing. For example: art materials should be used, not hoarded. I think I’m going to make this my New Year’s resolution!

No comments: