Friday, December 08, 2006

Studio Essentials

I liked the part in Lynne Perrella’s book Alphabetica where she asked several artists to list their top ten studio essentials. I was thinking about this tonight, and decided that even though my space is crammed with embellishments, ribbon, collage pieces, bark, wood, shells, rocks, assemblage parts, wooden boxes, and so on, I could probably do without all of this if I had to. Without further ado, here’s my list:
My dog: But you could say that Lily makes herself essential because she’s always available, non-critical and loving. Plus she reminds me what time it is.
An X-acto knife with a fresh blade: To be honest, this was this first thing that came to mind. (Sorry Lily).
A Uhu glue stick: No other glue stick does it for me. I should receive some kind of long service award from the company that manufactures it.
Abobe Photoshop and my beloved Epson 1270 printer: Okay, so there are two items here, but to me they’re interconnected.
My drafting table: I’ve had this since this the 70s and it’s my art altar!
Luna Lights: The instant antidote to a creative block.
Golden Black Lava paint: I love this “art asphalt.”
Golden Liquid Acrylics: Good for smooshing, glazing, monoprinting or just looking at in their containers.
Paper, paper and more paper: And did I mention paper?
My parts cabinets: It’s nice to know that a lot of the junk I’ll never use is neatly stowed away and ready to be fondled if the need arises—which it frequently does.
Baby Wipes: For my outer (and inner) art baby. She always seems to need a good freshening up.
My Pilot Razor Point Pens and current journal: I know I’ve doubled up again, but math has never been my strong point.
I’m going to stop now because I’m over my limit, and the temptation to poke through everything I own is very strong and must NOT be given into!

No comments: