Tuesday, October 10, 2006

We're back

I haven’t blogged for 9 days now and it feels strange getting back to it. Quite frankly, I didn’t have time – too busy eating, talking, reading, sight-seeing, playing cards, taking pictures, collecting shells and going on hikes with John. I did nothing on my travel journal either, and I feel guilty about it. All that time I spent getting my art supplies together beforehand, and I didn’t even use them. I could have saved myself the trouble.
What I did do, though, was to come up with an idea for a novel – and I owe it all to John. One night in bed he kept tossing and turning. I’d almost be asleep when he’d suddenly twitch and wake me up. I finally decided to forget about sleeping and just think. All sorts of ideas came to me, and I ended up getting my notebook and writing away in the dark.
It feels good to have a new project I’m excited about. My novel will be a fantasy – not a Lord of the Rings kind of thing – but an alternative and contemporary reality. For a while now I’ve been researching angels. I’m not sure if this research will fit in with what I’m trying to do, but I hope it will. One thing I’ve learned is that you have to let your ideas take you where they want you to go. And quite often they lead you somewhere you never thought of going.

No comments: