Sunday, October 28, 2007

Farewell Jean

John’s mother Jean passed away on Friday afternoon so he left for England tonight to help his brother Sandy make funeral arrangements and to spend a few days with him.
Jean was 92 and had been in ill health for several months, so it wasn’t really a surprise. But I don’t think you’re ever prepared for death. Jean herself always referred to it as “going to that great Taco Hut in the sky” (for some mysterious reason). Somehow I doubt she’s having a taco right now though…probably coffee and prosciutto by Lake Garda while she watches the boats go by.

After John’s father died, I had a dream that I met him in this beautiful outdoor café in the Italian Alps. “So what’s heaven like Adrian?” I asked. “Just great,” he replied enthusiastically. “It’s full of Italians!”

3 comments:

Ronna said...

Susan, please pass my condolences to John. 92 is a good age but somehow it never seems like it's time enough.

Godelieve said...

Sorry for your loss. This photo is a lovely tribute.

A bird in the hand said...

Condolences to John and you. I like the image of her having coffee by Lake Garda...

As for heaven, thank goodness I speak Italian!