Friday, April 18, 2008

Overworking things

I think I've mentioned this before, but I usually find the more I work on a piece of art, the worse things get. For example: this digital collage that actually started out in the shape of a gothic arch.
Because I'd looked at several of them on other people's blogs, I wanted to try one myself and the plan was to incorporate a map (natch) and a cabinet card. But somehow things went haywire. The harder I tried to correct it, the worse things got, so I finally ended up turning it into a mandala. I know mandalas are supposed to have a centering effect but I think this one has to be all about the desire for it. Looking at this collage now, it seems to be more like a CD cover, although I can't think of any musician who would actually use it.

2 comments:

Leslie Jane Moran said...

I think that Nellie McKay (Rumor Has It...Soundtrack) could use this as an album cover for her song:

"Face of a Faith"

It all makes perfect sense to me now!

Odd how you consider these your bloops....it's FANTASTIC!

Good work...Friday too!
LJM

Dale said...

This looks really great! I love how the face is in it, but you don't see and recognize it as such right away... till something clicks into place. I can't speak for others but i know that's how it was for me.

I often find that i get the same way. When i feel i need to 'fix' something on a project that isn't an easy fix, i like to maybe just set it aside for a bit and come back later.