Monday, April 21, 2008

Recent Drawings

It was reading Danny Gregory’s book The Creative License that inspired me to start drawing again. He says the true purpose of illustrated journaling is to celebrate your life. “No matter how small or mundane or redundant, each drawing and little essay you write to commemorate an event or an object or a place makes it all the more special.”
Looking back over the drawings I’ve been doing for the last six weeks, I can remember what I was thinking and feeling while I was working on each one of them. The scallop shell was definitely the hardest. It took a good hour and a half to finish it, and I considered giving up and tearing it out of my journal several times during the process. With the hot water bottle, I thought I was raising the bar drawing-wise, but it turned out to be easier than I thought. And finally: the tacky broach. I only wore it once on a burgundy jacket I used to love—but then gave away because it had those early 90s football shoulders. I can’t think why I haven’t parted with this broach either. Maybe it was just waiting for me to draw it.

4 comments:

Ronna said...

Susan:
Love the drawings. Makes me want to get right back into it...and maybe start a drawing journal too!

tgarrett said...

Nice drawings Susan- How amazing- I am re-reading That book! I just love his writing and drawings. Now if I can just put pen to paper soon. Thanks for sharing! Terry

A bird in the hand said...

I have an idea. Pretend the "tacky" brooch is a MUMA project and make something else with it!!!

Dale said...

Your drawings here look so good! I love the way you have the shading on the scallop shell. The detail truly shows the effort and care you put into the piece. I can't believe you wanted to toss it! It looks so good :)