Sunday, July 16, 2006

Looking Inward

This is one of the cards Beth Barany ordered from me recently. I don’t often use these colors in my work, but a piece of rust spoke to me, and I had to listen.
I’m really enjoying my new process journal, but I feel guilty I spent so much time playing in it this weekend when I could have been writing my book. Come to think of it, I should have been making mixed media pieces to sell too. But quite honestly, I’m fed up with thinking of ways to make money, mainly because I’ve never been very good at it.
In the latest issue of Art & Life, Teesha Moore mentions that she’s always had the knack of being able to spot trends. I wish I had it! Instead, I’m often surprised at what appeals to people. This is not a value judgment, of course, but an observation that highlights my almost complete lack of understanding about what drives the marketplace. But even if I did have a sense of what people want, I know I’d probably continue on doing what I’m doing anyway.

1 comment:

Beth Barany said...

Hi Susan,

And the card is gorgeous. The flower just jumps out at me! I love your images. They appeal to me very much!

All my best,
Beth

bethbarany.com
creative consultant and coach