Monday, January 01, 2007

New Year’s Resolutions

John and I had a long talk last night about goals and purpose. He says that goals should stem from your purpose, and when you know what that is then your goals will fall into place. I’m not exactly sure what my purpose is, so I think that will have to be one of my goals this year.
To be honest, I’m not that comfortable with goal setting. I’ve set so many objectives for myself that haven’t come to fruition it almost seems like bad karma to want to accomplish anything at all. For this reason, I plan to focus on overcoming certain habits that hold me back instead of concentrating on so-called tangible results.
One problem I have that I’d like to change is getting off track. Because I throw myself into everything I do, I often don’t question whether or not doing something is in my best interests. So this year I plan to work smarter, not harder.
Another problem I have is hyper focusing. I wouldn’t say it wears me out exactly because I have a lot of energy, but I tend to let everything else slide so I can finish what I’m working on. It would be nice to have more balance in my life and less turmoil, and that balance has to come from within (obviously).
I’d also like to create a more orderly environment for myself. When I’m organized, I’m more creative. Pam once told me about an article she read on happiness where the single thing happy people had in common was the fact that they planned their lives to make room for what they wanted to do and to accomplish. So wish me luck!

No comments: