Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Done and Dusted

As Mick Jagger would say, the angel book is “done and dusted.” For me, anyway. There’s nothing like a deadline to keep you motivated. I finished off my pages this afternoon, and then sent the book to Carmi.
I’ve never worked on a collaborative project like this one before, and what was running through my mind most of the time was curiosity. I wondered what everyone else would do with their pages, or how they’d work with my raw material if they had the opportunity. Something completely different, I’m sure. I can’t wait to see what this talented bunch of women will bring to the book.
What I’d pictured in my mind for my pages, and what actually transpired were miles apart. I’d planned to do a lot more stamping than I did, but I couldn’t find my box of angel images. At least I had my collection of wings handy, but most of them didn’t fit, so I ended up doing most of my work in Photoshop (using images I’ve used before and that I like). I can see now why artists do series. There are some images that stay with you no matter how often you use them.
On Sunday morning I had this wonderful dream about a winged heart. But it wasn’t something I could easily translate to the angel book. It’s interesting how boundaries help you to focus, yet at the same time also rule other things out. I keep promising myself I’m going to paint and to work larger – and I keep not doing it. I don’t think it’s because I’m lazy or hesitant. Rather, I think that I know what a stretch it will be for me artistically, and most of my stretch is going into my creativity book at the moment.

No comments: