Friday, September 15, 2006

No Time for Art (or Fred)

When I was working as a layout artist at Sears back in the Pleistocene age, I was really green. One of the first things I had to do was to pick up some pictures for a layout I was working on. My supervisor told me to go over to Old Art. Of course I thought Old Art was an eccentric older guy hidden away in some cubicle…kind of like Malcolm Waddems in Office Space now that I think about it. Well, at any rate I was hunting around all over the place for him when I finally discovered that Old Art was actually the place where the catalogue transparencies were filed. Naturally everyone thought this was hilarious.
But I’ve been thinking about Old Art this week because I’ve been seeing plenty of it while trying to straighten out my files. Here’s one I did from a photo of my dad and grandparents taken back in the 1930s. I guess doing something three or four years ago doesn’t really qualify as “old,” but in Photoshop years it just might be.
One thing I don’t like about the reformatting and Adobe Bridge is that I can no longer see pictures of my files on the folder icons like I used to be able to do. All I needed was the visual with Photoshop 6 and I knew what was going on inside. Now I’m forced to read the titles and I really hate this because I have 810 file folders – and I can’t do it in Explorer anymore either.
I discovered this week that I’m not the only Photoshop user who is unhappy with this. There doesn’t seem to be a solution however, so I suspect Adobe is saving the picture icon feature for a future version of Bridge. Leaving it out must have been deliberate when you consider that Adobe is marketing their software to people who are geared to the visual…artists, photographers and graphic designers.

No comments: