Tuesday, September 26, 2006

On Writing...sort of

I’m writing an article on Photoshop right now and enjoying the process because it isn’t my book. After writing over 130 pages on creativity, I can see I’ve fallen into all sorts of bad writing habits over the years. You’d think after being a professional writer for so long I’d have it all figured out. But I don’t. It’s always onward and upward. Then again, this is probably a good thing for me or else I’d go stale.
To unwind last night, I read Wedding Song by Vicki Lewis Thompson. Now there’s a woman who can write! Even though I love romances, so many of them are groaners. I remember reading one where the heroine kept licking her lips. I would have tossed the book aside except I was hooked on whether or not there would be any more lip licking. It was like reading a Where’s Waldo book and trying to find the Chap Stick.
Speaking of romances, David told me today that he’d like to read the unpublished one I wrote back in the mid 90s. I was really taken aback by this. He explained that he’d been thinking about the fact that even though we’re close, there was a lot he didn’t know about me and he wanted to learn more. Of course there’s sex in the book, so this is a little weird but my mother said she enjoyed it, and…well, actually I haven’t made up my mind about this yet.
Have I mentioned that when John was living in Amsterdam he taught himself Dutch by reading his girlfriend’s Harlequins? He’s even read a few of mine. Most men wouldn’t be caught dead reading a romance. But not my guys. From what I’ve seen though, David’s girlfriends seem to prefer writers like Ayn Rand.
I checked out Vicki Lewis Thompson’s website tonight, and apparently she has a thing for Colin Firth. I remember watching him on A&E in Pride and Prejudice. After the first installment was shown, my mother and sister both called to say they thought John looked like Colin Firth. Maybe I should email Vicki this picture of John – and mention that he has a darling Scottish accent.

No comments: