Sunday, August 13, 2006

Process Assemblage

For the last couple of weeks I’ve been constructing (and deconstructing) little assemblages like this one. I’ve always enjoyed putting disparate objects together to see what happens. I think this stems from a fascination with miniatures and trying to construct your own personal universe with the objects that appeal to you.
When Emma and David were small, they used to play doll furniture by the hour. Instead of a dollhouse, they used pieces of wood to act as the walls for what they called their “set ups.” Every time they played, the set up changed and grew more complicated.
I remember my friend Jessica dropping by one day when Emma and David’s set up had taken over the living room carpet and spread to the top of the dining room table. She told me I should take a picture of it, and I always wish I had.

No comments: