Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Today’s Musings

I was too tired to work in my process journal tonight. Playing in PhotoShop seemed like a better idea because I could noodle around without having to cut, glue and make hands-on decisions. It was fun experimenting with this image of my doll Edith and some computer circuits a friend of David’s emailed me months ago.
But my first priority has to be my book, and that’s where most of my creative energy has been going for the last few months. I’m ahead of schedule, which is fortunate because John and I are going to Cape Cod on holiday with my parents in September, and I won’t get any writing done for a week or so.
Now that I’m over half way through my book, I’m starting to think about what to do next. I think it’s important to keep moving forward instead of focusing in on what’s just been completed. My plan is to rewrite my novel and to start working on a journaling book that I’ve already started making notes for.
I’d always thought I would end up as a novelist – wishful thinking maybe – instead of writing non-fiction. Despite the fact that I’ve had so many articles published, it’s always a stretch for me. I feel the pressure to be precise, to put myself in the reader’s position, and the process can be a real grind. With a novel though, I’m writing the kind of book I’d like to read so I just dive in.

No comments: