Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Self-Portrait Set Up

I’ve done a few self-portraits over the years. Most of them involved me looking morose and conflicted. This is part of who I am, but not the whole of me that’s for sure. So this time, it was fun to put together a little shrine to the letter “W” that I inherited when I got married.
Because we got married quickly, I never really thought about keeping my last name. One of my aunts told me this was a good thing. She felt that any letter that hung below the line – like the “f” in my original last name – was not auspicious. But it just occurred to me now that if you put your name in uppercase, nothing would be left hanging, would it?

I do like having a “W” though because it has peaks and valleys just like life itself. “F” reminds me of an incomplete TV antenna.

No comments: